Friday, December 10, 2010

it's friday night... and i'm tired of homework

i don't think people realize how random social work is. like, real social work, anyway... it's random. like, today, all day, i stuffed envelopes. why? fundraising. yeah, that's social work. gotta keep those non-profits running!

also today, i had a great conversation about my Capstone, thesis-like project with my internship agency's Director of Development. he's a pretty cool guy. anywho, we came up with this plan for my project to a dual city fundraiser, hoping to raise 50k. yeah, $50,000. i would be fine raising $10.

not only does this assignment seem waaaaaay daunting, but it sounds pretty amazing. you see, the funds would go to the agency's program for kinship caregivers. people who take in children you aren't their own, relative or not. so, the program is really important. and raising funds for it to run would be great.

the amazing thing, though, is that they trust me with this plan. i mean, hi, i'm the msw intern... yeah, this is not my real job. but oh if it could be!

so, you see social work is really random. but, it's amazing random. i love it. i'm so happy with my choice in going back to school. even if i am dying trying to get all my assignments done. but still, i can't wait to go out into the world and use this knowledge to create good for others.

No comments: