Thursday, October 28, 2010

today is my dad's 58th birthday.



this is me and my dad on my wedding day. he's a really cool dude. like, for real. when i was little, he would take me with him to work in the summer time, and let me go through stacks of paper making who knows what. and, whenever i see a McDonald's i totally think of him because he would always take me after school on a rainy day. and he still always makes fun of me because i always order the #2. and you know what? i still do.

but mostly, my dad is a cool dude because he's such a great dad. really. you see, my dad has been a pastor since he was about 18 years old. that means he's been in the "church business" for 40 years. yeah. 40. but you know, he was always there.

i remember when he'd go on trips for church, he would mail learsi and i letters. even if he was gone for, like, 3 or 4 days. they would always be about how much he missed us and couldn't wait to come home to see us. and, when i was in high school, he was still the senior pastor at church, had an outside job, and was still willing to be a member of the band boosters. yes, i was in band. and, in college, he helped me move a fridge, dressers, and my bed into my first apartment. and he didn't get *too* disappointed when i came back home after my freshman year because i lost my scholarships. okay, well maybe he was pretty disappointed, but he showed me what forgiveness was.

he's always told be that i'm beautiful, and has never made me feel like anything less than amazing. and, when i told him that my grad school graduation might ruin his plans for speaking at the Pepperdine Pastoral Lectures *which is a pretty awesome thing*, he said, "don't be sorry. you're graduating. that's more important."

the moral of the story is that i am me because i've had such a great dad. plus, i have a pretty amazing mom and sister, but it's not their birthday today! he's always sought God's plan for his life, and the life of his family. he loves unconditionally, and he doesn't beat around the bush when he gives advice.

but the greatest thing i learned from my dad was to love Jesus. not just to say you love Jesus, but to really be all in and love completely. this is what my dad does, and who my dad is. he loves Jesus above all things, and seeks to glorify Him in all that he does. and that is was makes my dad so cool.

*besos*